Wednesday, June 19, 2013

GP Optimizer Winter 2013: Saving the World from Evil…One Commission at a Time

Written By John Stulak, President of
EthoTech
for The GP Optimizer Winter
2013 Edition by Rockton Software
The sirens howled and the lights were flashing DANGER throughout the command center. Commander Rice yelled, “OK people, we have less than 8 hours until all satellite systems are under his control!!! GET ME Chronos! NOW!”

Commander Rice was in charge of our utility company’s Cyber Command Center in Bethesda, Maryland. He was solely responsible for synchronization of all electrical networks under our control.  And right now, life as we know it was about to change, unless the Commander could stop Apoc.

Apoc was an infamous and dangerous hacker, but his most diabolical plan would soon affect every person on the planet. He was about to use a network of satellites to shut down all electricity everywhere at precisely 12:21:12 PM that very day . . . apparently, Apoc’s infatuation with the Mayan calendar haunted him.

“We need Chronos here, NOW,” the Commander shouted as the vein on the side of his head came close to bursting. “Chronos was our only Agent that was able to stop Apoc from taking down the I.R.S. when the U.S. government needed our help.”

I blinked . . . then took a deep breath as I prepared to give the Commander the bad news. “Commander, Sir! Agent Chronos is not happy with our behavior after the last time he helped us. He claims that he didn’t receive his promised compensation for months after the I.R.S. fiasco, and then we sent him the wrong amount.” I carefully chose my next words. “The calculations are extremely complex, we often make mistakes by using clunky Excel spreadsheets in conjunction with our outdated manual systems.”

Just then, a text message pinged my phone. It was… Chronos!

Ping! Chronos’ Text: So I hear Rice needs me again . . .

“Tell him to get here on the double,” yelled the Commander.

Ping! Chronos’ Replied: Not so fast. I insist you calculate and schedule my payment NOW, so I am not left hanging like last time.

 “Do it,” replied the Commander.

I ran into the compensation office and tripped over a pile of printed Excel spreadsheets, “Ugh! I’ll never get this calculated in time . . .” I mumbled to myself.

Ping! Chronos’ Text: Laptop under desk.

What? How does he know. As I opened the laptop that I found tucked under the desk, a message box popped up with a link. Then a Remote Desktop session opened directly to our Microsoft Dynamics GP system, yet something was different. There was a new program running called Commission Plan.

Ping! Chronos’ Text: Answer the phone.

Sure enough, it rang. A pleasant voice said, “Hello, My name is Ethos. I’ve configured Commission Plan on your Microsoft Dynamics GP system, so you can accurately calculate Chronos’ compensation in just minutes and wire it to him pronto.”

Sure enough, it took me less than 5 minutes to calculate the proper sum that would be due to Chronos for stopping the nefarious plan underway by Apoc.

Ping! Chronos’ Text: Use Commission Plan from now on to keep your agents happy and avoid cyber-warfare.

I texted back immediately: If that is all it takes to keep you happy, then we are on it. 

I quickly wired the exact amount to Chronos that was calculated by Commission Plan. Frankly, I didn’t know what was going to happen next.

It took me just a few minutes to run back to the Command Center. To my surprise, I found everyone–including Commander Rice–high-fiving and congratulating each other. The Commander asked, “How did you do it?

“Did what?” I replied.

“The report in time,”

“All I did was use Commission Plan from EthoTech to satisfy Agent Chronos. You mean Apoc’s plan has been foiled already?”

“Apparently, upon receiving his payment, Chronos delivered a disabling software worm directly into Apoc’s system,” the Commander beamed, “Apoc’s plans have been crushed… for now.”

Download the Winter 2013 Edition of The GP Optimizer: http://www.rocktonsoftware.com/gpOptimizer/Winter2013/

No comments:

Post a Comment