Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kris' Top Five Business/Travel Apps


Written By Kris Berger, QA Dvelopment
Lead at Rockton Software
I travel a fair amount for work and leisure, so my phone is my lifeline to work and family during travel-time.  Of course, I use it for the basics: phone calls, texts, and emails.  But, I am also constantly downloading and trying out new apps.  Here are my top five apps that I continue to go back to, especially during my travel adventures.

United Airlines: I love this airline app.  I use it to check-in for my flights while on the go.  Also, when checking in I can choose to have a mobile boarding pass—no more finding a printer or keeping track of those paper boarding passes!  When going through security and/or at the gate, I just scan my phone and I am in! The app also allows me to change seats or check the upgrade and standby lists for my flight. A beneficial asset if you need to catch an earlier flight home or to see if that seat is still empty beside me!

Quick Lists: Okay, I am a lists type of person.  I have lists for projects at work, at home, lists for shopping, lists for my husband, lists for my kids, etc.  So, this Quick Lists is a nice, basic app that lets me track all of these lists while on the go.  If I am traveling for work, I can create or update existing lists for tasks or projects to do once back in the office or home.  The best part is that I can take those lists and complete the tasks right on my phone or email the list to anyone else. When I start a grocery list, I can easily email it to my husband if he ends up doing the shopping that week.

Turbo Scan: This is a great app that allows you to take a picture “scan” of documents, receipts, business cards, and then instantly send it as a PDF or JPEG image or save it to your phone for later.  You can also print directly from your phone via wireless printer connection.  The images are very clear, and I have found it’s a great way to capture those things along the way, such as receipts;  I can capture and print on the go or once I am back in the office.

Nightstand Central: This app is the first app I use each morning.  It allows you to set multiple alarms with different sounds, go to sleep or wake up to the music you set,  choose from pre-set photos or add your own photos that scrolls in the background.  And, automatically sets your location—providing current and next day weather forecasts.

Words with Friends: This is just a fun one.  When you have down time at the airport; on the train; or stuck in a hotel room, it’s a great way to clear the mind and kill some time.  This is one game that spans the ages.  I will usually have games going with my husband’s grandma, 81 years old, to my 11 year old nephew, as well as other friends and colleagues.  It’s not only a fun way to interact with all these folks  by being competitive and seeing what crazy words we can all come up with, but you can also message each other while playing.


No comments:

Post a Comment