Monday, August 6, 2012

Stay Fit: Mentally & Physically


Written By Martie Mitchell, Sales
Manager at Rockton Software
Thinking about this subject and how it applies to sales and business, I thought I would share my fifty-five year old perspective. Probably the best way to succeed in business is to do exactly what the title of this article refers to. Sounds easy, right? Not necessarily. Is it worthwhile? Absolutely!

In our twenties (sometimes thirties), we are in the habit of learning. Our brains question, challenge, and consider the obvious, as well as alternatives, plus we have high-energy. Our friends are usually active, and generally we have more disposable time without a lot of responsibility. 

It is possible . . .
At age 48, Sister Madonna Buder, a Catholic nun with the Sisters for Christian Community in Spokane, Washington, started running. In 2005, at age 75, she became the oldest woman to ever qualify for and compete in the Hawaii Ironman World Championships, finishing a full hour before the 17-hour cut-off and beating people younger than her. Now she is 82 years old and commonly known as "The Iron Nun," most people at her age start suffering the onset of mental diseases and disorders. Buder is well-known in the sports community not for breaking Olympic or World records, but for testing the physical boundaries of age. 

Most of us in the channel sit in front of our computers for 4, 6, 8, 10 (or longer) hours per day. We're working hard, but typing has not been labeled an aerobic activity. For those of you (like me) who may not have been worried about trends, fads (and good health)- this is called a Sedentary Lifestyle! What it means is we probably have to get up off our ever-spreading derrieres, periodically, and get the blood moving! The most difficult part for me is that at the end of the day, I'm tired. I haven't moved much, but my brain is tired . . . ultimately, telling my body that I'm tired, too.

Why should we be concerned about mental and physical fitness? Well, they're inescapably linked together, and they have direct impact on our overall well-being, which also, has a direct impact on how effective we are in business. 

Key benefits of mental and physical fitness:
Reduction in Depression: more vigorous the exercise, the greater the benefits.
Sleep Enhancement: when people exercise they tend to fall asleep quicker, sleep more soundly, and their uninterrupted sleep is longer.
Improved Brain Function: physical activity enhances our mental state by increasing blood circulation, bringing oxygen and endorphins to brain tissues, promoting growth of brain cells, which is associated with better performance on multiple cognitive measures. 

Mental Fitness: Manage your stress- by learning to relax

  • Learn relaxation techniques: Good breathing habits alone can improve both your psychological and physical well-being.
  • Set realistic goals: Assess your schedule and identify activities that you can or should let go. 
  • Exercise: Regular, moderate exercise helps ease tension, improves sleep and self-esteem.
  • Enjoy yourself: Indulge in your favorite hobby. Nurture your creative self.
  • Visualization: Use this technique to practice "seeing" yourself succeed in whatever situation is upmost in your mind.
  • Maintain a healthy lifestyle: A good diet is often the first thing to go when we're feeling stressed.
  • Talk about it: Sharing your troubles with a friend may help you to put things in perspective and to feel that you're not alone. You may also learn some other ways to manage stress effectively.
Play, read, learn something, and participate in debates. Simply put, continue to challenge what you think, how you think, and why you think what you think.

Physical Fitness:

  • Psychological Skills: Attention and Concentration control, imagery, and mental practice and self-talk.
  • Realistic Goal Setting: Write your goals down and have a contract, even if it is just for you. Include scheduling as a goal: not just weight loss.
  • Create a workout program: This should include cardiovascular and strength exercises, as well as stretching. Include components such as time, frequency, and intensity.
  • Monitor the Progress: Keep a logbook, add in short-term, as well as long-term process.
  • Reward yourself for your success.
A brief walk at low-intensity can improve mood and increase energy. As little as 10 minutes of aerobic exercise can have a positive effect. For long-term benefits, you should exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes per session at a moderate intensity.

You're probably wondering, "What make her the expert and why is this important to her?" I don't blame you, and I don't claim to be an expert. I'm just a product of firsthand experience.

I embarked on this lifestyle change nearly two years ago because I watched some family around me struggle with their health. Luckily, I have an aunt and uncle that were the exception- they are active to this day and are in their mid-eighties. They keep healthy and engaged. This past June, they even traveled to Nicaragua to help to build homes for the needy with their church group. Seeing how active and life-filled they are, I came to the conclusion that we don't have to necessarily accept aging "gracefully."

I prefer to run full-speed and come sliding into the finish line while screaming, "Wow! What a heck of a ride!"

However, I was not on that track. I was overweight, tired, sleeping poorly, and beginning to have health problems. Thank goodness, I chose to no longer ignore the signs. I have joined a health-club and secured a personal trainer who has permission to hold me accountable. I have lost 30 pounds by choosing to stay fit mentally and physically.

I'm still on a journey of discovery; I'm learning to look at the food I eat differently. Yes, I still enjoy great tasting food, and I still indulge, occasionally, but the key here is that I do it occasionally. I've also embraced exercise by taking it in small steps: taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away from the grocery store, etc. Most importantly be kind to yourself; if you slip, forgive yourself.

This is a life-long change, so indulge in your crossword puzzle and participate in a 5k. Good luck! I hope to see you at the finish line yelling, "Wow! What a ride!"


1 comment: