Monday, August 13, 2012

Married to the Boss: Part 1


Written By Mark Rockwell,
President of Rockton Software
Many partners and customers who have known Rockton for years probably know that Rockton is a combination of my last name (Rockwell) with Kelli’s (Sexton); the alternate name of “Sexwell” being left for future business endeavors.

It’s not always obvious that a key component to Rockton’s success is Kelli, the other half of a dynamic duo that makes life fun if not a little challenging at times.  I am fortunate to be married to my business partner, and like most things we approach in life, it’s often good that we have each other.  As a team we complement one another—accomplishing more than can be done alone.  I’m the detail person; I make lists and get things done.  Kelli is the big-picture person, the one who sets course and steers the ship in the right direction.  I can get lost in the details and would probably sail in circles without Kelli’s insight.

You might be surprised at the similarities between raising four children and running a small business with over a dozen employees.  Managing people, whether they share blood ties or not, boils down to recognizing each individual for whom they are, what they’re great at, and helping them learn and grow.  Although with employees, I’m thankful to have bypassed the diapering stage, as well as not having to worry about a meltdown at a company retreat if someone doesn’t get their ice cream cone.

I think the biggest benefit of being married to the boss (besides it being socially acceptable for us to sleep together) is the understanding and sharing of a common life vision, for both our family and our business.  I don’t have to explain in detail what work was like today when I get home, and likewise I have a co-worker who knows the recent dilemma over my kid’s homework challenges.  The drawback, of course, is that sometimes married people get, um, “frustrated” with one another.  This is why having separate offices at work is often beneficial.

I’m a lucky guy.  Given the alternatives, running a business with my life partner is very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment